Monday, April 15, 2013

WELCOME!!!!! Color Challenges --- I am a FAN!!!

FIRST BLOG POST ON NEW BLOG!!!!!!


WELCOME!!!

Last night I decided to work on a masculine birthday card with a nautical theme that pairs perfectly with the new papers from FANCY PANTS!   The paper stack is called, "Trendsetter" and I just loved the colors so much that I had to get them in the 12x12 paper stack and the 6x6!   The papers are darling and I know that I am going to LOVE scrappin' our summer trips to the beach on these papers!!   Call me crazy, but every summer we have a vacation "theme" set of colors that we bring and wear for family photo ops!!!   LOL    This year the colors are:  Navy, coral, poppy, mint, cream, tan, etc...   JUST LIKE the Fancy Pants paper stack!  I am in HEAVEN!!! 





Here is my first card that I made with Trendsetter paper and a manly anchor stamp from the Unity Stamp Co.  I stamped Night of Navy ink from Stampin' Up onto kraft cardstock from recollections.  I cut it out using one of my trusty Spellbinders (one of my faves, actually! Labels #8)   

Then I distressed the edges using a Prima chalk edger in the color: Farmer Jeans.   Next, I matted it onto a larger cut out from labels 8 which was the star paper from Fancy Pants.   Again, I edged with Prima chalk for a more worn look.  After those 2 layers were popped up on dimensionals, I added another layer to the back of it with the diagonal navy stripe paper.  For this, I just eye balled it & rounded the corners with a corner punch.  (Ek success)  Next, I grabbed my Fishtail Flags Layers Stax from My Favorite Things to cut out a great looking deep poppy colored flag for the backdrop to anchor my anchor!!  ;)  LOLOLOLOL   Sorry, I love PUNS!  ;)

After all of the layering was done, I needed to get to work on the base.   Sometimes I make the card base first & sometimes I don't.  This was one of those nights that I was just crafting away without a care in the world and started with my stamps!   

For the base I used white cardstock from recollections, layered with kraft cardstock and then the pretty poppy color from trendsetter.   The 5x7 layers were cut using Spellbinders Matting Basics 5x7 A & B sets.  Then after those layers were in place, I added a 4x6 mat from trendsetter to tie in the nautical theme!  I just LOVE the mariner's compass @ the bottom!!!  TOO FUN!!   A little trim @ the bottom with the poppy/cream chevron & I was good to go!    


Close up of Mariner's Compass & layering



NEXT up... the inside of the card


Again I used kraft cardstock from recollections and the Spellbinders 5x7 matting basics to start the layering.  I added a 4x6 mat from trendsetter and 2 sentiments.  

Both sentiments are from Unity Stamp Co.
"anchored" comes with the anchor on the front & the casual happy bday stamp is called, "encircled happy birthday"  

I stamped the "you are my anchor" with night of navy (SU!) and on the happy bday I used "Poppy" from a-muse studio.  I love that color!!!   I punched out the circle w/ a 1 3/4 circle punch from ek success and I used Spellbinders "fancy tags" for the anchor sentiment.   

And there you have it!  My first card from my new Trendsetter paper stack on my brand new blog!   

I'm going to enter this card in the following challenges:






Here are the links for the challenges:




________________________________________________________________


Here are a few pics to show that I am not joking about my LOVE for these colors:  

Our family aprons are from Anthropologie and they are navy, mint, & coral!  



& here is a quick peek at some of the beach clothes the girls will be taking this summer!  






YEP, I am HEAD over HEELS for the TRENDSETTER paper stack and CANNOT wait to SCRAP those PICS!!!   HAPPY MONDAY everyone!!!  

Thanks for stopping by!!!

This is my first blog & I'm very excited!!!

<<<<<<MORE TO COME>>>>>>



22 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole! These look fabulous! I love the color combination myself and am excited to try the new birthday layout. Looking forward to seeing more! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle!! I'm so glad you were able to find my new blog!! :) :) It's nice to have a FRESH new place to share. Can't wait to see what you can come up with for the B-day challenge. :) :) :)

      Delete
  2. Pretty color combo and love your nautical theme card! Inside is just as fabulous as the outside too. Great card.
    Thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lynn! I hope that I met the requirements of the birthday challenge. I had to put my sentiment on the inside of the card because it just didn't look right on the outside. :) :) Thanks for stopping by! I love having new visitors!! :) :) :)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous cards and inspiration!! Loved that you used some Unity goodness and my Anchor image!! Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Angie!!! I'm super thrilled that you did!! YES, your anchor image makes a FAB statement w/ the Fancy Pants paper! :) :) :) Thanks for the blog love!! You are so sweet!! :) :) :)

      Delete
  4. Fabulous card, and so glad you like the colors! Thanks for joining us for the Color Throwdown, and come back again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammy!! :) You can be sure that I will!! I absolutely loved it!! :)) :)) It was so much fun that I made 2 cards, instead of just one!! :) :) :) Thanks for popping by!

      Delete
  5. So happy to see a new blogger on the block! You totally rocked the throwdown colors in these beautiful cards! So happy to have you playing along with us and look forward to seeing you in the gallery again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wanda!! This challenge was right up my alley!! It was FAB FUN & I will for sure be back for more!! Thanks for popping by!! :)) :))

      Delete
  6. Welcome to blogland, Nichole! Your cards are gorgeous--love your layering! Thanks so much for playing the Color Throwdown--we hope to see you back again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Barbara! It was absolutely my pleasure!! :) :) :) I will def be back to play again!! :) :) Can't wait!!

      Delete
  7. What an awesome masculine nautical card!! I love your combination of the colors and layout. The anchor is just perfect! Thanks so much for joining us at the Color Throwdown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Broni! I really appreciate the blog love!! :) :) :) The anchor was just begging to be mixed with that fun paper! :) :)

      Delete
  8. What fabulous cards...love the nautical theme on the first card and how cool to add the numbers at the bottom of the second card!!! Congrats on your first post and thanks for joining us at the Color Throwdown Challenge!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan!! I'm so glad that you liked them! :) :) :) I appreciate you stopping by!! You can be sure that I will be back for the Color Throwdown! :) :) It was sooooo much fun!!! :)

      Delete
  9. Amazing card with so many details. Love that you did the inside too. Great masculine card. So glad you were able to join us this week at Seize the Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanna!! I really enjoyed making it & like a lot of other card makers, the guys cards aren't always easy for me!! :)) :)) Luckily, this one came with a lot of inspiration!! :)) :))

      Delete
  10. LOVE how you anchored your anchor! this is a very cool nautical card. Thanks for joining us in the Play Date Cafe!
    -Rachel w k
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel!!! :) :) I hope that you are able to check out my other card, as well. I have 2 cards in the Nautical Breezes challenge. :) :) :) Thanks for stopping by & the kind words!! :) :) <>

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on your new blog...it's always fun to change things up! I'm so happy you were able to enter two cards into our gallery over at The Play Date Cafe and look forward to you playing with us again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie!! :) :) I appreciate you stopping by!! Those colors were FAB, I just had to play along!! :) :) I will play again soon!!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to write me a note!!!
~~Nicole~~