Friday, January 24, 2014

Coloring Lush Grass -- Tutorial for All Dressed Up

Hi Everyone!!
I'm over on the ADU blog today
with a quick tutorial on coloring lush grass.

I have used the sweet image called,
"I Love My Puppy"
Lay down a base coat of the lightest
green that you will be using.
In this case, I have used YG11.

Grab another shade of green and make little "W's"
or crowns.  Start at the bottom and flick up toward the image.

Take another shade and make small "V's" over the
"W's" and flick up towards the image

Go back in with a different shade of green and
repeat with the clumps of "W's"

Add in the clumps of "V's" over the "W's" to 
continue building the colors.  Keep all of your 
strokes as light as you can.

Take your darkest shades at the end and do some 
very fine flicks.  From the bottom of the "W's" 
and the bottom of the "V's" covering all clumps.

With your darkest color, go over your work
with tiny flicks from the bottom to top
working towards the image. 

You will repeat the process a few times to
build up the color.

Making your flicks as thin as possible, add more
color and fill in the grass as desired. 

Repeat until you have filled it in and 
the grass is lush.

Make some longer strokes from the bottom
to the top closer to the image to hide the clumps.

All of your strokes should have been very light 
throughout the process, so there shouldn't 
be much bleed through with your paper.

When you are finished, you should have nice
lush grass at the bottom of your image 
and you can add more strokes after 
you are done coloring the image.

To see this card completed, 
please pop back next
week for the full 
color view.
XO

31 comments:

  1. excellent tutorial Nicole I try to do this but never know which greens to use so have bookmarked your post for later. mwahhhh xx STacey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS... I forgot to say thank you for the opportunity of winning the candy.. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops my first post seemed to have disappeared.... I just said that this is a fabbie tutorial and is perfect for that image... thank you for sharing it!

    Hugs
    Christine x
    (Now my PS has come before my post! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like real grass Nicole...thanks for this gorgeous tutorial....another thanks for giving away a candy...enjoy your weekend!
    xxx Margreet

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, thank you so much for this tutorial.. I`d absolutely love it.. love the way to do your grass and now I know and can do like you!! wwoo hoo!! awesome!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually skip the grass part afraid that I just won't do it right. But you rocked the grass! :)
    Hugs, Sanja

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous grass Nicole! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the tuto ;)
    hugs
    céline

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great tut Nicole, thank you for sharing, also thank you for a chance to win your surprise candy too. Have a good weekend, hope your girlies get some crafty time too x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tut, need to match those colours up to my PM's now lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely tutorial on grass! Mine never turns out that lush...just a big blob of green :) But I'll keep trying!!
    Thanks for the chance to win some fun candy too!!
    <3 Emily L.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely tutorial, love the grass! Such an adorable image!! Thanks for the chance at your blog candy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the grass tute Nicole, looks so realistic!! Can't wait to see your finished card, hope you are having a great day!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial on the grass.........it helped me a lot
    Blessings~
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! I love how you have coloured the grass, it really does look lush! Your tutorial looks fabulous and I am looking forward to seeing your finished card.
    Thank you for the chance to win your surprise mini candy :)
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial!!!!!! Looks great and sort of simple. I think I can handle that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a good teacher you are, Nicole! That is just amazing to me to see the process you go through and the result when you are completed just blows me away!! Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tute sweetie. Nice to see some green right now. LOL. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome Nicole. I can't wait to try this. Thanks so much for the tutorial. Hugs D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome tutorial Nicole and I am definitely bookmarking this page so I can try this technique out! I've always loved your outdoor creations and this is so beautiful! Thanks again and hope you have a wonderful weekend! :) Hugs, Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your tutorial is awesome! Definitely something I need to remember (better just bookmark the page lol), I can't wait to see the card with this cutie. Hugs! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous tutorial... Thanks so much for taking the time to share... Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fab tut sweetie, not sure if I tried it if I would come out with lush grass or a mess as I am quite heavy handed. Lol!!! Thank you for the opportunity to win your candy. Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, awesome tutorial Nicole!! I love the end results! I really should give it a try again sometime :) TFS!
    Have a great weekend!
    Sherrie K

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great tutorial! Your grass looks amazing.

    -xxx-
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the great tutorial! Your grass looks fantastic! Thanks for the chance at your candy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great tutorial, I could do with looking at lots of those for my colouring.
    Thanks for the mini candy.
    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Brilliant Tut Nicole.. you are such an artist!
    Thank you as well for the chance to win.
    Big hugs
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to write me a note!!!
~~Nicole~~